What can I do with these qualifications?

We are consistently being asked by our customers what can they do once they have successfully completed either our domestic electrician course or domestic electrician package, so we thought we would answer all the relevant questions.


Can I start doing electrical installation work immediately after passing my courses?

The simple answer is yes, you can depending on the electrical installation work you are intending to undertake. As a general rule if you are looking to extend or alter any existing circuits you will be able to do this immediately. If however you are looking to install new circuits, change consumer units or do any work within a bathroom you will be required to certify that your work meets Part P of the building regulations. To certify your own work you will need to either join a Government Approved Part P Scheme Provider or work with your local building control.


Do I need to join a Part P Scheme Provider?

Absolutely not, since April 2013 the government has relaxed a large proportion of jobs that need to be notified under building regulations. They identified that electricians and their customers were enduring additional costs that were not necessary so reflected this in the new part p 2013 document. Essentially the biggest changes are that if you are altering/extending any existing circuits including those in a kitchens or outside a property, you will not be required to notify them to building control. This represents a massive amount of jobs that were notifiable have now disappeared and will save you additional set up costs by not having to join a scheme. It will also enable you to walk before you can run as far as electrical installation work is concerned.

If you do come across any notifiable work during this time, you can always work with your local building control to sign off the notifiable work, all without having to join a scheme.

Once you have gained sufficient experience/customers and gained the confidence it may then be time to join a scheme when it is financially viable to do so. Ultimately the decision will be based around the electrical installation work you are intending to undertake.


How do I join a Part P Competent Person Scheme?

Each of the scheme providers have different annual fees and qualification requirements to join, so it is important to do your homework as they do change from time to time. Read more about how to join a scheme here.


If you would like to know any additional information about our courses or how to join a government approved competent persons scheme provider please give us a call on 01444 872145.

Information above correct as of  17/06/21.