Costs of Notifying Building Control across England and Wales

The costs to notify your local building control of notifiable electrical work varies throughout England and Wales, with many differing factors such as the type of electrical work, your qualifications and your location.

We have researched through local authorities and building partnerships to find out how much notifying electrical work to your building control costs.

We recommend that you always check with your local building control for the most up to date costs for notifiable work.

What is notifiable electrical work?

All notifiable electrical work must be notified to your local building control prior to starting the work. Notifiable work can include: house rewires, any new circuits, work in a special location (such as a bathroom) and a consumer unit change.

All notifiable work must be signed off by a registered electrician.

If you are completing any of this type of work and are not a registered electrician, you will need to go through your local building control in order to have this work certified and signed off. It is a legal requirement that all notifiable electrical work is signed off, if not you could be invalidating your home insurance.

Process of notifying to your building control

Every council is different with how they handle notifiable electrical work, so it is always best practice to give your local council a call before starting any work to find out the costs involved and the process.

Above in the map chart, you can see the average prices for work across England and Wales. Every council will have a set fee to charge those who want notifiable work signed off.

During our research we found that costs for notifying work with the council will differ depending on a number of factors including: your qualifications, the type of notifiable work, and your location.

Some councils will allow you to do the notifiable work without any electrical qualifications, but it will cost you significantly more to have it tested and certified, and they could also charge for minor works as well.

For other councils, if you have your 18th Edition Wiring Regulations the same process of testing and inspecting would be required but the cost from the council would be much less.

If you are registered with a Part P Scheme Provider, like the NICEIC or ELECSA, then there is no cost involved as it is all done through your Competent Person Scheme.

Alternative option

There is an alternative option available for those who are competent and qualified electricians – you can join a Registered Competent Person Scheme (otherwise known as a Part P Scheme), such as NICEIC or ELECSA.

By joining up to a Part P Scheme and becoming a registered electrician, you are then responsible for testing and inspecting your notifiable work, and you are also able to certify and sign the work off yourself. By joining a Scheme, you completely cut out the additional cost of getting a registered electrician in to sign off your work.

Are you a homeowner?

If you want to find out more about what is notifiable work and what it involves, then click below to continue reading. We will walk you through what paperwork you should be receiving from your electrician with a piece of notifiable work, what Part P applies to and Part P compliance.

Find out more about notifiable electrical work